- Women that are pregnant should not receive Laser Hair Removal. If you are nursing and would like to pursue treatment we ask that you consult your PCP for clearance.
- Avoid direct sun exposure & tanning beds for 2 weeks prior to your appointment.
- Please avoid using self-tanners for 2 weeks prior to your appointment specifically in the area to be treated. If you have used self tanner outside of the 2 week timeframe we ask that you please exfoliate the area to ensure no remnants of the product are left in the area to be treated. The self tanner could compromise your treatment as the laser cannot distinguish between self tanner and melanin (a common target for all laser wavelengths therefore the laser may not reach its intended target. More importantly the laser energy could burn the surface of the skin since the laser is targeting the “tanned area” instead of your hair follicle.
- We ask that if you are currently taking oral antibiotics or steroids that you discontinue the medication for 10 days prior to your appointment.
- If you are currently taking or have taken a medication in the Isotretinoin family, such as Accutane, we ask that you wait at least 6 months before pursuing Laser Hair Removal.
- Please inform us of any tattoos or permanent makeup in the treatment area. We want to be sure to avoid treating near any ink as the laser may disturb or discolor the area.
- We ask that you do not tweeze, wax or epilate the hair to be treated while pursuing a Laser Hair Removal course of treatment. This can disrupt the hair growth cycle and impede the laser from reaching its intended target (the root of your hair follicle). Please wait 6 weeks to schedule your appointments after you have used any of these modalities.
- It is best if you arrive to your appointment free of makeup, perfume, lotion or deodorant in the treatment area.
- Please shave the treatment area completely the night before or morning of your appointment.
- If you have difficulty with pain management during your treatments we are happy to provide topical numbing cream at a small additional charge. If you would like to add this to your service we ask that you alert our scheduling coordinators when making the appointment and arrive 30 minutes prior to your appointment time so that we can apply the cream for you.
- If you have a known allergy or sensitivity to Cryogen Cooling Therapy, please inform our team when scheduling your appointment.
- We always suggest hydrating as much as possible prior to any treatment at Dream Spa Medical. It is a great way to help your body function at it’s best and help to accelerate your healing time as well as enhance results.
Face and Neck LHR:
- Your provider will help guide you in your current homecare routine and make recommendations on what to avoid. As a general rule active ingredients such as acids (glycolic, salicylic, etc), retinol products (Rx or over the counter) or topical prescriptions such as antibiotic or steroid creams should be discontinued 7 days prior to your appointment. The exception to this would be if you are using our suggested Environ Vitamin A treatment cream or serum (Youth Essentia A or Skin Essentia A). These products should always be used leading up to your treatment.
- If you are prone to Herpes Labialis outbreak, we suggest pretreating with an Antiviral medication for 2 days prior to your treatment and two days post treatment. Dream Spa Medical is happy to provide you with a prescription assuming that you are a candidate for this prescription.
- The treated area may feel uncomfortable and slightly warm immediately post treatment. Redness and swelling are an expected and desired response in most cases. Your provider will soothe your skin with Aloe Vera gel or Hydrocortisone in the treatment room. If the treated area feels more than slightly warm we encourage icing for a minimum of 5 minutes. You should not leave the treatment room if you feel a burning or intense heat sensation in the treated area. Disposable ice packs will be provided to you if necessary and you may continue to use them at home if it feels comforting.
- We strongly encourage you to avoid direct sun exposure to the treated area or the use of tanning beds for at least 2 weeks following this procedure.
- Always use a physical protectant SPF (Zinc Oxide, Titanium dioxide) and reapply throughout the day.
- In some cases you may experience a prolonged hive-like appearance to your skin along with an itchy sensation in the treated area. This is normal and in most cases will subside within 2-4 days if treated with any over the counter hydrocortisone product.
- Avoid the use of perfumes, lotions and deodorant in the treated area for 24 hours.
- Avoid strenuous exercise, sweating, and excessive temperatures for 24 hours.
- We suggest avoiding tight constricting clothes, this will allow your skin to cool and heal properly.
- We ask that the only form of hair removal that you do for the duration of your laser hair removal series is shave. All other forms of hair removal compromise the growth cycle and our ability to target the root of your hair.
- You may proceed with any Injectable treatments and most cosmetic procedures immediately following your treatment. We are always happy to make accommodations when scheduling to ensure that you are able to receive all of the treatments that you are interested in. We know your time is valuable and we want to make it seamless for you to make Dream Spa Medical your one stop shop for all your cosmetic needs.
For Face and Neck Areas:
- We strongly recommend ISDIN Eryfotona Actinica as a base in the morning and ISDIN Mineral brush for reapplying throughout the day.
- Your provider will make appropriate home care recommendations tailored to your specific plan but a general rule is to avoid all active ingredients such as acids (glycolic, salicylic, etc), retinol products (Rx or over the counter) or topical prescriptions such as antibiotic or steroid creams until your skin feels “back to normal” or a minimum of 2 days. The exception to this would be if you are using our suggested Environ Vitamin A treatment cream or serum (Youth Essentia A or Skin Essentia A). These products can be used as early as the following day.
Treated hair may not shed for several weeks. It may even appear as though new hair growth is occurring. 2 weeks is typically the time frame you can expect to see changes in growth. You may choose to “coax” hair along with a mild scrub and face cloth once you hit the 2 week mark. Your hair goes through many different phases of growth and Laser Hair Removal can only be effective when your hair is in the Anagen phase. This happens when the hair follicle is in the “growth” phase and directly attached to your blood supply. For this reason multiple treatments in each area are required in order to assure each follicle has been appropriately destroyed. Once the follicle is destroyed, this hair will still need to work its way to the surface. We can assure you that the hair will eventually shed and your hair growth will significantly decrease.
You can typically expect approximately 20% reduction of hair growth within a 4 - 8 week timeframe following each treatment. This will depend and vary with each area treated and it is for this reason why certain areas are spaced at different intervals. It is imperative to stick to the schedule set by your provider in order to optimize your treatment and results.
If you are experiencing any symptoms outside of the “Normal” range (those mentioned above) please reach out to Dream Spa Medical immediately so that we can work to remedy any and all issues or simply just be a listening ear to your questions and concerns to ensure that you feel comfortable. If you are experiencing an emergency outside of our open hours, please call our clinical emergency line at 781-222-0176.
At Dream Spa Medical we believe in having open communication and ensuring that your results are exactly as you and your provider expect them to be. For this reason we always schedule our patients that are either new to us or new to this specific treatment with a 2 week in-person follow up. This is a time for you and your provider to discuss your results and future treatments as well as go over any additional questions. The exception to this would be if you and your provider have developed a monthly treatment plan or if you are signed up for a series of pre-planned treatments such as Laser Hair Removal. In this case you will receive communication from Dream Spa Medical within 48 hours checking in on you. If at any point in time on your journey with us you would like to schedule a follow up or speak to your provider about your most recent treatment or progress we are happy to accomodate in person, virtually, by phone or email.
We are always here to ensure that you LOOK BETTER, FEEL BETTER!