Sclerotherapy is a minimally invasive procedure that involves injecting a solution directly into undesirable veins. Beyond cosmetic purposes, this procedure may also improve related symptoms such as aching, swelling, burning and cramps associated with larger vessels. Resolution and full fading will occur in 2-4 weeks. 2-3 sessions may be required depending on the severity and size of the vein or its network.
- Women who are pregnant or nursing should not be treated with Sclerotherapy.
- We suggest that if you are actively trying to conceive that you consult your Physician before being treated with Sclerotherapy.
- -Please allow a minimum of two weeks' time in between any vaccinations and your treatment.
- It is best to avoid smoking, alcohol & blood thinning medications (aspirin, ibuprofen, etc) 24-48 hours prior to your treatment. This may increase your risk of bruising.
- Avoid direct sun exposure & tanning beds for 2 weeks prior to your appointment.
- Please avoid the use of sunless tanner for at least 10 days prior to your treatment. -Please ensure that you fully exfoliate any remnants of sunless tan product off your skin prior to your appointment.
- It is best if you arrive to your appointment free of makeup, perfume, lotion or deodorant in the treatment area.
- Please do not shave or use depilatories on your legs the day of the procedure.
- Shower and thoroughly wash your legs prior to the procedure.
- We suggest that you wear loose fitting, comfortable clothing to your appointment. You may opt to bring a pair of shorts with you to change into for the treatment as your legs will be fully exposed during the procedure.
- Upon completion of your treatment, Dream Spa Medical will provide you with one pair of waist high compression tights, complimentary. These compression tights are to be worn 24 hours a day for two weeks following your treatment. The only time we suggest taking the tights off is to shower, after which you will need to immediately put the tights back on.
- If you would like to purchase additional tights you may do so at Dream Spa Medical for your convenience or any other store that sells compression tights with a minimum 20-25 gsm.
- -We always suggest hydrating as much as possible prior to any treatment at Dream Spa Medical. It is a great way to help your body function at it’s best and help to accelerate your healing time as well as enhance results.
- The treated area may feel uncomfortable and slightly warm immediately post treatment. You can expect that the treated area to develop bruising and/or mild to moderate swelling over the next few days following the procedure.
- The treated area may be painful and you may experience muscle cramping in your legs for up to 5 days post procedure. We suggest taking Tylenol for discomfort.
- We strongly encourage you to avoid direct sun exposure to the treated area or the use of tanning beds for at least 2 weeks following this procedure.
- Always use a physical protectant SPF (Zinc Oxide, Titanium dioxide) and reapply throughout the day.
- In some cases you may experience a prolonged hive-like appearance to your skin along with an itchy sensation in the treated area. This is normal and in most cases will subside within 2-4 days if treated with any over the counter hydrocortisone product.
- Avoid the use of perfumes, lotions and deodorants in the treated area for 24 hours.
- Avoid strenuous exercise, sweating, and excessive temperatures for 24 hours.
- Avoid all high impact and high intensity workouts (such as crossfit, kickboxing and heavy weight lifting) for two weeks post procedure. Walking is encouraged.
- Keep your legs elevated while laying down or sleeping for at least 7 days.
- Continue to avoid all aspirin and blood thinning medications for 4 days after your treatment.
- Although rare, it is possible to develop a firm lump or knot in the treatment area. This indicates a benign, superficial accumulation of trapped blood. If this occurs, please make an appointment for it to be evaluated and treated as soon as possible.
- Post Sclerotherapy Hyperpigmentation also occurs in 10-30% of patients within the first 3-4 weeks. This is benign and will resolve in 6-12 months.
If you are experiencing any symptoms outside of the “Normal” range (those mentioned above) please reach out to Dream Spa Medical immediately so that we can work to remedy any and all issues or simply just be a listening ear to your questions and concerns to ensure that you feel comfortable. If you are experiencing an emergency outside of our open hours, please call our clinical emergency line at 781-222-0176.
At Dream Spa Medical we believe in having open communication and ensuring that your results are exactly as you and your provider expect them to be. For this reason we always schedule our patients that are either new to us or new to this specific treatment with a 2 week in-person follow up. This is a time for you and your provider to discuss your results and future treatments as well as go over any additional questions. The exception to this would be if you and your provider have developed a monthly treatment plan or if you are signed up for a series of pre-planned treatments such as Laser Hair Removal. In this case you will receive communication from Dream Spa Medical within 48 hours checking in on you. If at any point in time on your journey with us you would like to schedule a follow up or speak to your provider about your most recent treatment or progress we are happy to accomodate in person, virtually, by phone or email.
We are always here to ensure that you LOOK BETTER, FEEL BETTER!