- Women that are pregnant or nursing should not receive tattoo removal.
- Avoid ANY sun exposure or use of tanning beds for A MINIMUM OF 4 weeks prior to your appointment
- Please avoid using self-tanners for 3 weeks prior to your appointment specifically in the area to be treated. If you have used self tanner outside of the 3 week timeframe we ask that you please exfoliate the area to ensure no remnants of the product are left in the area to be treated. The self tanner could compromise your treatment as the laser cannot distinguish between self tanner and melanin (a common target for all laser wavelengths) therefore the laser may not reach its intended target. More importantly the laser energy could burn the surface of the skin since the laser is targeting the “tanned area” instead of your unwanted tattoo.
- We ask that if you are currently taking oral antibiotics or steroids that you discontinue the medication for 10 days prior to your appointment.
- If you are currently taking or have taken a medication in the Isotretinoin family, such as Accutane, we ask that you wait at least 6 months before pursuing Laser Tattoo Removal.
- Please inform us of any additional tattoos/portions of tattoos or permanent makeup in the treatment area that you do not wish to have treated. We want to be sure to avoid treating near any of this ink as the laser may disturb or discolor the area. We will cover any areas that you wish to preserve to the best of our ability.
- We always suggest hydrating as much as possible prior to any treatment at Dream Spa Medical. It is a great way to help your body function at it’s best as well as help to accelerate your healing time and enhance results.
Facial Tattoos/Permanent Makeup Removal/Microblading:
Your provider will help guide you on your current homecare routine and make recommendations on what to avoid. As a general rule, active ingredients such as acids (glycolic, salicylic, etc), retinol products (Rx or over the counter) or topical prescriptions such as antibiotic or steroid creams should be discontinued 7 days prior to your appointment. The exception to this would be if you are using our suggested Environ Vitamin A treatment cream or serum (Youth Essentia A or Skin Essentia A). These products should always be used leading up to your treatment.
- If you are prone to Herpes Labialis outbreak, we suggest pretreating with an Antiviral medication for 2 days prior to your treatment and two days post treatment. Dream Spa Medical is happy to provide you with a prescription assuming that you are a candidate.
- Immediately after treatment, there may be a “frosted” appearance to the area that has been treated. Redness and swelling are typical. Pinpoint bleeding may also occur. Your provider will apply ice to the area immediately post treatment. Your provider will also apply Aloe Vera Gel or Antibiotic Cream and cover the area.
- Based upon the intensity of your treatment, your skin will feel a moderate to intense heat sensation for a minimum of 24 hours. We encourage you to use the disposable ice packs (provided in your post care kit) for comfort. You may take an over the counter pain medication such as Tylenol or Motrin for discomfort.
- The treated area should feel tender and be cared for delicately as if it was a wound until healing is complete. Typically this will last for 7-10 days post treatment.
- Clean the treated area daily allowing water or shower to run over the area, and then pat to dry. Apply Aquaphor ointment to the treated area 2-3 times per day. Keep the area moist, and let the scab fall off on its own. If you are developing blisters, we suggest you cover the treated area with antibiotic cream (Neosporin) and apply a non stick Telfa gauze pad until the blisters are healed.
- Do NOT pick, peel, rub, scrub, or scratch at the skin in the treatment area throughout the healing process. If crusting occurs, do not shave or pick the area, allowing the natural healing process to take place.
- No swimming or using hot tubs/whirlpools until the wound heals. Physical exercise that causes perspiration should be discontinued for at least 3-7 days after treatment as excessive perspiration may disrupt the healing process.
- Avoid ANY sun exposure to the treated area for the duration of your treatments. Tattoo removal is not an easy process and your skin is being exposed to high levels of laser energy. If you expose the treated area to the sun YOU WILL have hyper or hypo pigmentation. Under no circumstances will we treat over-tanned or compromised skin. At Dream Spa Medical we work very hard to preserve the integrity of your skin through the tattoo removal process. We ask that you do the same.
For face and neck areas:
- Your provider will make appropriate home care recommendations tailored to your specific plan but a general rule is to avoid all active ingredients such as acids (glycolic,salicylic,etc), retinol products (Rx or over the counter) or topical prescriptions such as antibiotic or steroid creams until:
- Your skin feels “back to normal”
- A minimum of 7 days has passed
- The crusting has subsided.
- The exception to this would be if you are using our suggested Environ Vitamin A treatment cream or serum (Youth Essentia A or Skin Essentia A) these products can be used as early as 2 days post treatment.
- Since the face and neck are likely to be exposed to the sun in your day to day activities, we strongly suggest wearing a hat and always use a physical protectant SPF (Zinc Oxide, Titanium dioxide) that you can reapply throughout the day. We strongly recommend ISDIN Eryfotona Actinica as your base SPF and ISDIN Mineral Brush for easy re-application throughout the day.
Tattoo Removal can be a long and tedious process. Our practitioners are highly skilled and work to preserve the integrity of your skin and optimize treatment results at each appointment. Please note that there is no pre-set number of sessions or exact science to full removal. Many factors play a role in each personalized result such as; the quality of the ink used, placement of the ink by the tattoo artist, ink formulation, the age of the tattoo and the age of the person with the tattoo.
Please be sure to discuss this with your provider and explore all possible options prior to beginning your journey.
If you are experiencing any symptoms outside of the “Normal” range (those mentioned above) please reach out to Dream Spa Medical immediately so that we can work to remedy any and all issues or simply just be a listening ear to your questions and concerns to ensure that you feel comfortable.
At Dream Spa Medical we believe in having open communication and ensuring that your results are exactly as you and your provider expect them to be. For this reason we always schedule our patients that are either new to us or new to this specific treatment with a 2 week in-person follow up. This is a time for you and your provider to discuss your results and future treatments as well as go over any additional questions. The exception to this would be if you and your provider have developed a monthly treatment plan or if you are signed up for a series of pre-planned treatments such as Laser Hair Removal. In this case you will receive communication from Dream Spa Medical within 48 hours checking in on you. If at any point in time on your journey with us you would like to schedule a follow up or speak to your provider about your most recent treatment or progress we are happy to accomodate in person, virtually, by phone or email.
We are always here to ensure that you LOOK BETTER, FEEL BETTER!