- Women that are pregnant should not receive laser treatment. If you are nursing and would like to pursue treatment we ask that you consult your PCP for clearance.
- Avoid direct sun exposure & tanning beds for 3 weeks prior to your appointment. We will not treat “tanned” skin for this treatment. Doing so would significantly increase your likelihood of post treatment complications and hyperpigmentation.
- Please avoid using self-tanners for 3 weeks prior to your appointment specifically in the area to be treated. If you have used self tanner outside of the 3 week timeframe we ask that you please exfoliate the area to ensure no remnants of the product are left in the area to be treated. The self tanner could compromise your treatment as the laser cannot distinguish between self tanner and melanin (a common target for all laser wavelengths) therefore the laser may not reach its intended target. More importantly the laser energy could burn the surface of the skin since the laser is targeting the “tanned area” instead of the intended treatment area.
- Your provider will help guide you in your current homecare routine and make recommendations on what to avoid. As a general rule active ingredients such as acids (glycolic, salicylic, etc), retinol products (Rx or over the counter) or topical prescriptions such as antibiotic or steroid creams should be discontinued 7 days prior to your appointment. The exception to this would be if you are using our suggested Environ Vitamin A treatment cream or serum (Youth Essentia A or Skin Essentia A). These products should always be used leading up to your treatment.
- If you are prone to Herpes Labialis outbreak, we suggest pretreating with an Antiviral medication for 2 days prior to your treatment and two days post treatment. Dream Spa Medical is happy to provide you with a prescription assuming that you are a candidate for this prescription.
- We ask that if you are currently taking oral antibiotics or steroids that you discontinue the medication for 10 days prior to your appointment.
- Please inform us of any tattoos or permanent makeup in the treatment area. We want to be sure to avoid treating near any ink as the laser may disturb or discolor the area.
- It is best if you arrive to your appointment free of makeup, perfume, lotion or deodorant in the treatment area.
- If you are currently taking or have taken a medication in the Isotretinoin family, such as Accutane, we ask that you wait at least 6 months before pursuing this treatment.
- We always suggest hydrating as much as possible prior to any treatment at Dream Spa Medical. It is a great way to help your body to function at it’s best and will help to accelerate your healing time as well as enhance results.
- The treated area will feel uncomfortable and warm immediately post treatment. Redness, swelling, and darkening of any pigmented lesions are an expected and desired response. Your provider will soothe your skin with cool compresses. Based upon the intensity of your treatment, your skin will feel a moderate to intense heat sensation for a minimum of 24 hours. We encourage you to use a cool compress for mild to moderate heat or disposable ice packs (provided in your post care kit) for more intensive temperatures. Apply ice to the area for 30 seconds on and 30 seconds off in 5 minute increments.
- You may take an over the counter pain medication such as Tylenol or Motrin for discomfort.
- If you are experiencing heat and intense discomfort for more than 48 hours please contact Dream Spa Medical so that our team can assess and make appropriate recommendations.
- Calming products such as SkinCeuticals HydraBalm and/or SkinCeuticals Epidermal Repair will be provided in your post-care kit for you to apply to your skin post treatment. Your provider may make additional recommendations for prolonged use and to enhance your healing.
- You will apply Epidermal Repair 2-4 times per day. You should apply Hydra Balm throughout the day as we want you to keep your skin moist at all times. Hydrated and healthy skin will regenerate at a faster rate than damaged and dry skin.
- Always use a physical protectant SPF (Zinc Oxide, Titanium dioxide) and reapply throughout the day. We strongly recommend ISDIN Eryfotona Actinica as a base in the morning and ISDIN Mineral brush for reapplying throughout the day
- Your skin will be in a healing and regenerating phase for a minimum of 2 weeks. During this time you will notice a sandpaper feeling to your skin and darkening of any treated pigmented lesions. Your skin will then begin to crust and eventually your skin will most likely feel moderately dry. This will begin to dissipate and your skin will appear smoother and brighter.
- Avoid waxing, bleaching or depilatory use for 2 weeks post treatment.
- In some cases you may experience a prolonged hive-like appearance to your skin along with an itchy sensation in the treated area. This is normal and in most cases will subside within 2-4 days if treated with any over the counter hydrocortisone product.
- Avoid the use of perfumes, lotions and deodorants in the treated area for 72 hours.
- Avoid strenuous exercise, sweating, and excessive temperatures such as a sauna for at least 48 hours.
- If you are treating your body we suggest avoiding tight, constricting clothes as this will allow your skin to cool and heal properly.
- We strongly encourage you to avoid direct sun exposure to the treated area or the use of tanning beds for at least 4 weeks following this procedure.
- All cosmetic treatments including facials and peels should be avoided for at least two weeks post treatment. We also suggest waiting a minimum of 7-10 days post procedure to proceed with any injectable treatments. We are always happy to make accommodations when scheduling to ensure that you are able to receive all of the treatments that you are interested in. We know your time is valuable and we want to make it seamless for you to make Dream Spa Medical your one stop shop for all your cosmetic needs.
For Face and Neck areas:
- We strongly recommend ISDIN Eryfotona Actinica as a base in the morning and ISDIN Mineral brush for reapplying throughout the day.
- Your provider will make appropriate home care recommendations tailored to your specific plan but a general rule is to avoid all active ingredients such as acids (glycolic, salicylic, etc), retinol products (Rx or over the counter) or topical prescriptions such as antibiotic or steroid creams until:
- Your skin feels “back to normal” or
- A minimum of 7 days has passed or
- Until the crusting has subsided.
- The exception to this would be if you are using our suggested Environ Vitamin A treatment cream or serum (Youth Essentia A or Skin Essentia A) these products can be used as early as 2 days post treatment.
If you are experiencing any symptoms outside of the “Normal” range (those mentioned above) please reach out to Dream Spa Medical immediately so that we can work to remedy any and all issues or simply just be a listening ear to your questions and concerns to ensure that you feel comfortable.
At Dream Spa Medical we believe in having open communication and ensuring that your results are exactly as you and your provider expect them to be. For this reason we always schedule our patients that are either new to us or new to this specific treatment with a 2 week in-person follow up. This is a time for you and your provider to discuss your results and future treatments as well as go over any additional questions. The exception to this would be if you and your provider have developed a monthly treatment plan or if you are signed up for a series of pre-planned treatments such as Laser Hair Removal. In this case you will receive communication from Dream Spa Medical within 48 hours checking in on you. If at any point in time on your journey with us you would like to schedule a follow up or speak to your provider about your most recent treatment or progress we are happy to accomodate in person, virtually, by phone or email.
We are always here to ensure that you LOOK BETTER, FEEL BETTER!